How can my institution request ink for ownership marking?

The Library of Congress developed, in cooperation with the United States Government Printing Office, a permanent, indelible, neutral-pH ink that cannot be removed with water or other solvents, that is resistant to fading, and which did not demonstrate adverse effects on paper substrates during testing. Collecting institutions may request a 65 mL bottle of this ink (specify blue, black, or reddish-brown) by sending a contact name and institutional postal address to Ask A Librarian. If possible, we ask international institutions to provide a U.S. postal address as the ink and the postage is provided free of charge.

Additional information and tips for application can be found at: Ownership Marking of Paper-Based Materials.

Last Updated: Feb 11, 2021
Views: 1

Learn More

Additional Ways to Contact Us

Send written correspondence to:

Preservation Directorate
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave. SE
Washington, D.C.  20540-4530

Please Note

We cannot provide: conservation (including review, examination, treatment), digitization/reformatting, access to/use of Library of Congress equipment, project funding, appraisals, recommendations for products or vendors, materials testing or analysis, preservation courses or classes, and/or responses to vendors seeking to sell or promote commercial products.