What does "Current Periodicals" mean? Why don't you have older periodicals?

In general, you will find print periodical issues published within the last two years in the Newspaper & Current Periodical Reading Room.  Individual issues can be requested by title and date by filling out a paper call slip in the Newspaper & Current Periodical Reading Room.  Periodical issues older than two years or so undergo hardcover binding or microfilming and are then sent to be shelved with the General Collections.  Print periodicals in the General Collections can be requested using the Library of Congress online catalog and are delivered to reading rooms in the Jefferson or Adams buildings.  Retro periodicals that have been microfilmed can be requested by filling out a paper call slip in the Microform & Electronic Resources Center

Feel free to ask reference staff for assistance with determining whether the periodical you need is held in the Newspaper & Current Periodical Reading Room or the General Collections.  Additionally, you might wish to check if the periodical you need is available digitally (and therefore accessible in any of the reading rooms at the Library of Congress) using the Library of Congress E-Resources catalog

Last Updated: Jul 06, 2020
Views: 205

Other Ways to Connect

We offer online chat service from Monday-Friday, 12:00-2:00 pm (ET).

Learn More

Follow Us

Additional Ways to Contact Us

Send written correspondence to:

Serial & Government Publications Division
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave. SE
Washington, D.C. 20540-4760

or leave a message at: