Where can I find information about unemployment insurance or compensation under the American Rescue Plan Act?
ARPA extends certain unemployment insurance (UI) provisions from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act and the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021.
While UI is a joint federal-state program, applicants must apply for cash benefits through their state.
Under ARPA, the following programs have been extended through September 6, 2021:
- Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) (section 9013), which currently provides for a $300 weekly federal UI supplement for people receiving state UI;
- Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) (section 9016), which provides federally-funded UI for individuals who have exhausted other UI benefits and meet other qualifications;
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) (section 9011), which is a temporary UI program for people not eligible for regular UI (e.g., self-employed workers, independent contractors, and gig economy workers);
- Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation (MEUC) (section 9013), which provides for $100 in federally-funded supplemental weekly benefits to "mixed earners" (section 261 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021) on top of regular UI benefits (importantly, states must opt into this program and individuals must have received a threshold amount of self-employment income in the most recent taxable year to qualify).
The following government resources have information about applying for unemployment benefits:
- General Unemployment Insurance FAQ sheet - DOL
- State Unemployment Insurance Offices – DOL
- Unemployment Benefits Finder External – sponsored by DOL
- Unemployment FAQs – DOL on CARES Act benefits which have been extended under the ARPA
- DOL New Guidance on States Implementing ARPA Unemployment Insurance Provisions – DOL News Release
- DOL Advisory Letter: Unemployment Insurance Letter No. 14-21 – DOL
For an overview of the UI provisions in ARPA, see
- American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA) - Key Unemployment Insurance (UI) Provisions – DOL
- Unemployment Insurance Provisions in the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 – Congressional Research Service
Additional resources may be added to this FAQ when/if sites are updated to reflect ARPA.
Additional Ways to Contact Us
Send written correspondence to:
The Law Library of Congress
101 Independence Avenue
Washington, DC 20540-4860
We cannot provide legal advice, interpretation, or analysis which could be interpreted as the practice of law; extensive bibliographies or legislative histories; or answers for student homework assignments.