Q. What organizational areas of the Library perform cataloging?


Cataloging materials for LC collections is performed in many different areas of the Library although most of the books, journals, microforms, and e-resources are cataloged in the Acquisitions and Bibliographic Access Directorate (ABA). The list below identifies the materials that are not cataloged by ABA and the name of the area that does the cataloging:

  • Maps and other cartographic materials (Geography and Map Division)
  • Visual materials, including prints, photographs, etc. (Prints and Photographs Division)
  • Materials for the blind and physically handicapped, including braille, audio materials, etc. (National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped)
  • Manuscripts (Manuscript Division, American Folklife Center)
  • Motion pictures and other moving images (Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division, American Folklife Center)
  • Sound recordings (Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division; American Folklife Center)
  • Printed and manuscript music, books and e-resources related to music, music special collections (Music Division)
  • Materials submitted for copyright protection (U.S. Copyright Office; full bibliographic cataloging of these items may also be done in other LC cataloging units)


  • Last Updated May 05, 2020
  • Views 1
  • Answered By Melanie Polutta

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0